Benefits of Chiropractic and Prenatal care
* Maintaining a healthier pregnancy
* Controlling symptoms of nausea
* Reducing the time of labour and delivery
* Relieving back, neck and joint pain
* Preventing a potential cesarean section
Chiropractic and Pregnancy
Do you know that at least 50% of women experience back pain during pregnancy? And 10% of those report discomfort severe enough to disrupt their daily routines. The good news is that there are steps you can take to baby your back during pregnancy.
The average healthy weight gain is 30 pounds. This extra weight places considerable stress on the back, feet, ankles and knees. As your baby grows the core abdominal muscles become stretched and cannot stabilize your posture as well as they did before.
In the third trimester, levels of a hormone called “relaxin” increases ten times. This also contributes to back pain. Relaxin loosens your joints to allow the pelvis to accommodate the enlarging uterus. These loose joints force the muscles of the back and the pelvis to work overtime to keep you upright and balanced.
What can you do to help?
Try these tips to help minimize your risk of back pain:
* Exercise can help increase muscle support for your aching back
(Always check with your health care professional for proper exercising techniques)
* Sleep on your left side to reduce pressure on your uterus and large blood vessels
* Take frequent short breaks with your feet elevated
* Get adequate rest
* Wear flat supportive shoes
* Most importantly, visit your Chiropractor for regular treatments to keep your spine aligned and your back healthy.
Dr. Angela Pharand
Dr. Angela Pharand, of Ezcape Wellness, has been working with pregnant women for over 12 years. She uses light force adjusting techniques to help alleviate back pain, hip pain and neck pain caused by pregnancy. Dr. Pharand looks forward to helping you have the pregnancy of your dreams because you and your baby are worth it.
Stay up to date with all our monthly specials, by signing up to our newsletter.